- Choose brands you know and respect. Register for products made by names you know, companies with a long history and a heritage of excellence. This will ensure that the gifts you choose come with guarantees of their quality and durability.
- Look ahead. Your registry should reflect who/where you want to be - not just who/where you are now. If you have your sights set on hosting the annual family holiday dinner, then register for items that will help you get there. It’s the equivalent of dressing for success, so make sure to register for the good stuff.
- Mix it up. Register for a variety of items at different price points for both shower and wedding gifts. While guests often buy individual items like stemware, vases, candlesticks and smaller gifts for showers, they’ll choose larger items like place settings and entertaining sets for the wedding.
- Easy does it. Entertaining comes in all shapes and sizes. Whether serving Thanksgiving dinner for the family or Sunday brunch with girlfriends, register for items that make life easier. Having the proper serving bowls, platters and serving utensils will help make any occasion go much more smoothly while adding decorative flair to your table.
- Make it personal. Your style is what you make it. Register for items that inspire you. Your choices say something about the way you view the world.
- Pace yourself. If the thought of registering is a bit overwhelming, then start with china, and go from there. You don’t have to complete your registry all at once.
Print out this handy checklist and take it with you when you go to register. As you check off each item, you’ll quickly and easily create a registry that includes everything you'll need for setting the table, entertaining, and decorating.