Baking bread does not always have to be daunting. This yeasted dough comes together without the use of a stand mixer and has a sweet cinnamon and brown sugar filling. It’s perfect as a simple breakfast with your morning coffee, or you can be bold and use for making french toast!
Prep Time: 2 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 60
Ingredients:For The Dough:
1 cup whole milk, warmed to 115°F
1/4 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon, divided
1 (.75 oz.) package active dry yeast
1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for greasing bowl
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
4 large eggs
4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
For The Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted butter
For Egg Wash:
1/2 tablespoon honey
- In a large bowl, stir together milk and 1 tablespoon sugar, then sprinkle yeast on top.
- Let stand 10 minutes until foamy.
- Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, oil, 2 tablespoons honey, salt, and eggs. Beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and stir in flour by hand.
- When the dough is too stiff to stir, place on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Oil a large bowl and place ball of dough inside it. Turn the dough once to coat it in oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot to rise and double in volume (about 2 hours).
- Meanwhile, toss together the brown sugar and cinnamon filling and set aside.
- When dough has doubled, turn it onto a lightly floured work surface, punch it down to deflate.
- If dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. Cut the dough into 3 even pieces (about 16 oz. each).
- Roll each piece out into a 12 x 20" rectangle.
- Add 1/3 of the brown sugar filling, then roll up into a neat and tight log. Pinch the seam together to seal.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling until you have 3 ropes equal in length.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Place the three ropes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and braid into a neat plait.
- Drape prepared loaf with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise again until puffy (30-40 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk together honey and egg for egg wash. Once loaf has risen for a second time, bake for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush all over with egg wash. Return to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving.