In the bowl of a stand mixer, add milk, yeast, and honey. Let sit until foamy, (about 10 minutes).Looking for a salty treat? Bake some Bavarian-style pretzels! The dough is relatively easy to mold so creating the pretzel shape is simple.
When the pretzels are shaped, just dunk them in a water and baking soda solution. This will help to create a crisp golden exterior and its chewy texture. Serve up these golden beauties with a pint and enjoy!
Prep Time: 120 minutes
Cook Time: 15
1½ cups whole milk, warmed
1 (¼ ounce) package active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter, melted, plus more for greasing bowl
3¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 egg, beaten
coarse salt, for sprinkling
¼ cup baking soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add milk, yeast, and honey. Let sit until foamy, (about 10 minutes).
- Once the yeast is activated, stir in brown sugar and melted butter.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add salt, then add flour in three additions. Continue kneading for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough should not be sticky; add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time if needed.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 2-3 minutes.
- Grease a bowl with butter and add the dough. Cover and let rise for 90 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 ̊F and line parchment paper for two baking sheets.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil with ¼ cup of baking soda.
- Once the dough has risen, punch down and cut dough into 8 equal parts.
- Roll each piece into about a 24" long rope, with a slightly thicker center.
- Make a ‘U’ shape with the dough rope by bringing the ends into the middle. Make two twists in the dough, then bring them down to the bottom of the "U" shape. Press the ends into the bottom of the pretzel "U" gently.
- Set pretzel onto a prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough pieces
- When the water reaches a boil, add pretzels (three at a time) and boil for about 30 seconds, just until they puff slightly. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared sheet pans.
- Using the beaten egg, brush each pretzel with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Place in the oven to bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.