New Year, New Chai! This wellness tea recipe is from Chandni Patel of Chand’s Kitchen is perfect. It keeps us warm and tastes great. Honey Ginger Chai is her go-to chai during the cold season. The honey works wonders for the throat, and the ginger’s immune benefits are amazing! It takes less than ten minutes to make, and only five ingredients are needed.
A few notes about ingredients: Chandni uses the Wagh Bhakri tea leaves from her local Indian grocery store, but you can purchase them online or from other specialty stores, as well. If you don’t have a microplane, you can use a grater or chop the ginger into small pieces. If fresh ginger isn’t available, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder can be used instead. Chandni uses whole milk when making chai, but if you want it to be less creamy, use 1/3 cup of milk.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
Serves: 1 cup
1 cup water
1 tbsp chai tea leaves
1 inch ginger
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tbsp honey
- Bring the water to a simmer in a pot over medium heat.
- While the water is simmering, add the grated ginger and honey.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the tea leaves.
- Boil for about a minute, and then add the milk.
- Once the chai comes to a boil, bring the heat down to low. Avoid overflowing the chai.
- Bring the chai to a boil again, and immediately turn the heat down to low.
- Bring the chai to a boil a third time, and turn the heat off.
- Use a strainer when pouring into a mug.