New Year is the time for New Chai! The tea recipe comes straight from Chandni Patel, who is from Chand’s Kitchen, and it is amazing. It tastes great and keeps us warm. Honey Ginger Chai is her favorite chai to drink during cold seasons. Honey can do great things for your throat, and ginger has amazing benefits for immunity! To make this, you require about ten minutes or less and you only need five ingredients.
Chandni makes use of the Wagh Bhakri tea leaves that can be found from the local Indian grocery store, but you can find them online or from other specialty stores. If you don’t have a microplane, you can use a grater or chop the ginger into small pieces. If fresh ginger is not available, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder instead. Chandni uses whole milk when making chai, but if you want it to be less creamy, use 1/3 cup of milk.
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8 minutes
Serves: 1 cup
1 cup water
1 tbsp chai tea leaves
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tbsp honey
- Bring the water to a simmer in a pot over medium heat.
- While the water is simmering, add the grated ginger and honey.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the tea leaves.
- Boil for about a minute, and then add the milk.
- Once the chai comes to a boil, bring the heat down to low. Avoid overflowing the chai.
- Bring the chai to a boil again, and immediately turn the heat down to low.
- Bring the chai to a boil for the third time, then turn the heat off.
- Use a strainer when pouring into a mug.