Plump, juicy and sweet: we’re celebrating this fall fruit with an easy-to-make plum cobbler. It’s the perfect dessert for casual gatherings as it comes together quickly and can be made ahead of time. Serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and prepare for plum perfection!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
For The Fruit:
6 cups sliced plums (from about 4 pounds whole plums)
¾ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
Pinch ground nutmeg
For The Topping:
1½ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, divided
¾ cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F and butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Make the filling. Add plums, brown sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg to a large bowl and stir to combine. Scrape fruit into prepared baking dish and set aside.
- For the cobbler topping, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Cube 1 1/2 sticks of butter and melt remaining half stick.
- Add cubed butter to the flour mixture and using your hands, cut the butter into the flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add melted butter and heavy cream and stir until the dough comes together.
- Dollop the dough by the spoonful onto the prepared plum filling. There will be some gaps on the surface.
- Brush the top of the dough with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until plums are bubbling and topping is golden brown (about 40 minutes).
- Let cool, then serve with vanilla ice cream.