The new year is all about resolutions, new leaves and clean slates, so why not start things off right for New Year’s Day brunch? This reduced fat egg soufflé is the perfect way to enjoy a delicious and comforting breakfast without all of the guilt of a more indulgent meal. It’s easy enough to prepare the day before; then simply refrigerate overnight and pop it in the oven the next morning. It’s perfectly light yet still satisfying—great for starting fresh after heavy holiday meals. Kick off the new year the right way!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
3 cups egg substitute, equivalent of 12 eggs
2 cups fat free half & half
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 king sized loaf of white bread
2½ cups low fat sharp cheddar cheese (divide into 1 cup and 1½ cups)
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons melted butter
- Remove and discard crust from bread and cut bread into 1” cubes.
- Beat together egg substitute, fat free half & half, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup of cheddar cheese on top of a 9” x 13” pan.
- Add a layer of bread, then cheddar, alternating the layers until all bread is used.
- Pour egg mixture over top of bread mixture. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Pour melted butter over the top. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bake at 350˚F until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes.