This fiery turkey tortilla soup is simple enough to whip up on a weekend, hearty enough to feed a crowd or just a delicious way to put leftover turkey to good use.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 poblano pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken stock
4 cups leftover shredded turkey
1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
For The Topping:
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, red pepper, poblano pepper, jalapeño and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add chipotle peppers, tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes add turkey and black beans. Cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Check the soup for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Add desired toppings and serve.